Monday, August 22, 2005

Unintended consequences?

From Froggy Ruminations:
As I passed over the Coronado Bridge I realized why many Americans don’t identify readily with the military. To my left was 32nd St. Naval Station, to my right was North Island Naval Air Station, beneath me was a returning frigate, and above me was a UH-60 Seahawk helicopter. I don’t live in a city like San Diego anymore where these things are commonplace and it was kind of bizarre to see so much military hardware in close proximity. That the sight of this startled me caused me to recognize how foreign these things must be to somebody from say Minnesota.
I know it makes sense to consolidate military installations and close unnecessary bases. OTOH, this also results in distancing our military personnel from the rest of us. It's not just a question of seeing an F-16 fly overhead or a frigate coming into the harbor. Those are cool. The men and women in uniform are impressive.

No comments: